The Board at VegasTripping

Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

Excalibur next to be imploded? Why not Luxor?

Last edit: jucifers on Friday, 8th July 2016 11:39 am
Last response by levans 13th July 1:10am

Here's a link to the Excalibur implosion rumor: http://dmckee.lvablog.com/?p=18478

And here's a link to Chuckmonster's article about county officials investigating structural problems under Luxor: http://www.vegastripping.com/news/blog/4282/luxor-sinks/

What do you guys think? Should Luxor be imploded before Excalibur? Should MGM build new hotels at all, given their boring track record?

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 Chuckmonster responded on Friday, 8th July 2016

I don't buy this rumor at all. They're building a goddamn parking garage out back... why build an above ground parking garage when they're going to demo the whole thing? Particularly since MGM used the parking garage as a ruse to implement paid parking. MGM wants to compete with Wynn Paradise Park? BWAHAHAHA. None of this passes the sniff test.

Here are the facts:

MGM is working right now with design firm Gensler to re-imagine the corner of Excalibur. I wrote about this a year or so ago. In the last few months, I've gotten a hold of the architectural plans for the project. MGM and Gensler are finalizing plans to do to the front of Excalibur what they did to the front of NYNY and Monte Carlo.... more shops, more dining, vistas and views... part of a larger plan to turn that whole area into a pedestrian friendly, masterplanned district. The whole thing is going to be called The Bridges at Excalibur or some variation thereof.

Jim Murren said six months ago that MGM would never build another resort in Las Vegas as long as he was CEO. Given that he's going to quit in a year or so to run for governor of Nevada, he might not be lying.

MinVegas replied on Saturday, 9th July 2016

"Given that he's going to quit in a year or so to run for governor of Nevada"

lol wut

I could see him run for Dean Heller's Senate seat in 2018 and then hole up in Washington forever, but a job that would require him to stay here? An east coast guy like him? Nah.

senatorkevin responded on Friday, 8th July 2016

Given the expanded sizes of Mandalay's Convention center, it'd kinda make sense for them to add higher end inventory on that location.

Building a super high end resort at that spot seems a little odd though. Especially if Resort World and Alon actually get built. (Lots of new inventory)

pkluvsvegas responded on Friday, 8th July 2016

Aria was/is the hotel that was supposed to dethrone Wynn. It failed. It would make no sense to build another high end hotel when MGM already has Aria, Aria SkySuites, Bellagio, MGM Mansion, MGM Skylofts, and to a lesser extent Mandalay Bay/Delano, and Mirage's Villas. Also The Park looks to be upscale as well.

MGM needs the grind joints too, plus they just updated a bunch of the rooms. It would make no sense to build anything new here.

anawas responded on Friday, 8th July 2016

I don't buy a full implosion, but I could see relocating the taxi/valet area ahead of improvements to the entrance combined with monetizing the empty spaces right at the corner.

Drake responded on Saturday, 9th July 2016

Sure, Murren aches to destroy everything that has a touch of Vegas whimsy and replace it with something that looks like a joyless NYC condo, purely out of anti-theme malice. But I'll vote with Chuckmonster on this one.

In fact, I'll predict MGM tries again with the Harmon before they implode the castle or the pyramid. Hell, they already have the plans for that, too.

levans responded on Wednesday, 13th July 2016

I just can't see an implosion there. I can see a remodel to the entrance which is kind of confusing at the moment. You go in by way of the moving sidewalks then but in order to return to the Strip you have to remember just how to get out of the place or you end up in the back or at the valet level. It's confusing and a new entrance would help navigation a lot.