Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

NHL franchise has been awarded to Las Vegas

Last edit: chrisrobbins1980 on Wednesday, 22nd June 2016 2:03 pm
Last response by motoman 28th June 3:54pm

What would your vote be for the team name, and if you are a hockey fan of another team, would you plan a trip to Vegas around seeing your favorite team play?

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 wpsteel66 responded on Wednesday, 22nd June 2016

I would purchase a ticket to see the Pens or other competitive team play if I was in town...I do not know if I would plan an entire Vegas trip just around a hockey game.

Vegas Vipers... would be better than some of the lame names already (Blue Jackets, Wild, Stars).

vespajet replied on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

Columbus went with the better of the two names that were finalists, as the other option was Justice, which sounds like an Arena Football League team. The Blue Jackets name is in reference to Ohio's role in the Civil War. The Wild name does sound outdated these days, as the name definitely is a 90s team name. As for the Stars, Texas is referred to as the Lone Star State (and the state flag features a single star) and it was one of those rare examples of a team retaining their name when relocating (Towards the end of their time in Minnesota, the team had already started to cutback on the use of the North Stars name in favor of the Stars name.). I remember people laughing about the Atlanta Thrashers name, which came from the state bird, the Brown Thrasher and was actually the runner-up to the Flames when the Atlanta Flames joined the NHL.

wpsteel66 replied on Tuesday, 28th June 2016

Yeah, I remember the MN North Stars and bummed they moved to TX...keeping the name as Stars makes sense as you indicated, and much better than New Orleans moving to Utah and still keeping the Jazz name.

adztheman responded on Wednesday, 22nd June 2016

Would definitely plan a trip around a Blues Game...the arena looks amazing, would love to see an event there...

Drake responded on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

Granted, it would qualify as one of the worst sports team names ever, but the "Las Vegas Slot Machines" does at least have a solid hockey-terminology pedigree to its credit.

motoman replied on Tuesday, 28th June 2016

So, announcers / sportscasters everywhere would abbreviate that to "the Slots"....

anawas responded on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

NAMES THAT TIE INTO THE CITY
The Las Vegas Mob.
The Las Vegas Lights (or Neon).
The Las Vegas Nights.
The Las Vegas Secrets.
The Las Vegas Gamblers.

NAMES THAT SOUND COOL
The Vegas Vandals.
The Vegas Victors.
The Sin City Scrappers.
The Sin City Stealth.
The MGM Mayhem.
The MGM Maruders.

But it's still likely to be the Vegas Black Knights.

vespajet replied on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

I really do like the Knights name, but only if they drop the "Black" part of the name, as it's a bit unwieldy for a pro sports team name. I here a team name with a color as part of the name, I think of a college or high school team, not a major pro sports team. I understand why Bill Foley wants to use the name, as he went to West Point and he wants to honor that name. But the thing is that West Point did not start using the Black Knights for their all of their sports teams until 1999 (The football team has been referred to as the "Black Knights of the Hudson for quite a few decades.) and West Point recently reverted back to the Cadets nickname for their sports teams (But some still cling onto the Black Knights moniker.).

vespajet responded on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

Myself, I would love to see them use the name Aces, but gear it towards the military aviation side of things with a small nod to the gaming side of things. But some folks dislike the name because they associate it with Reno's AAA baseball team and in hockey they associate it with the Alaska Aces of the ECHL (who were pretty dominant over the Wranglers over the years). Some folks would like to see the Wranglers name used on the team, but who knows if the owner of the trademark would be willing to sell the rights at a reasonable price.

fersure responded on Thursday, 23rd June 2016

Coming from Vancouver, I already plan Phoenix/Vegas combo trips twice a year.There already is a sizable contingent who do the SoCal roadtrip. This is going to be fun.

lewintn responded on Friday, 24th June 2016

Will I plan trips around when the Preds play the (Las Vegas NHL entity to be named later)?! Hells yes I will! I believe, as the Vegas team will be in the Pacific, that will be two road games per year. Like I need another excuse anyway, but that will be a blast!

vespajet replied on Sunday, 26th June 2016

Right now, the Pacific Division has 7 teams while the Central has 5 teams. The easiest solution would be to put Las Vegas in the Central for the time being until another Western Conference expansion team comes along (Seattle?). There was a time in which the Leafs had to play in the Western Conference in order to balance the divisions. The realignment that was done prior to the 2013-14 season left the Western Conference unbalanced as the Red Wings and Blue Jackets moved to the Eastern Conference and the Winnipeg Jets moved to the Western Conference. Another solution would be realignment yet again, but going back to three divisions in each conference and no teams changing conferences. Put Las Vegas in a division with Anaheim, Arizona, L.A., and depending upon the way they do the realignment, either Colorado, Dallas or San Jose.

anawas replied on Sunday, 26th June 2016

There currently are 7 NHL teams in both the Pacific and the Central. So, by numbers, it doesn't matter right now where the Vegas team is grouped.

But it makes geographic sense to build rivalries with LA, ANA and PHX in the Pacific.

Assuming the next expansion team in is Seattle (or Portland), then there WILL be a geographic imbalance, unless Phoenix is shifted to the Central or the team moves to Houston, OKC, Chicago, Salt Lake, etc.

KickedBoar591 responded on Monday, 27th June 2016

I'd break the bank to pay the Sinatra family for the name "Rat Pack".

This team must play in the Pacific. I'm already looking forward to the rivalry with the L.A. Kings, especially since the Rat Pack will likely be led by Dustin Brown.