Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

Death Magnetic

Last edit: Chuckmonster on Wednesday, 17th September 2008 6:20 pm
Last response by metalman6164 8th October 9:27am

It's been a week or so since the new Metallica joint 'Death Magnetic' came out. I'm curious what the fellow head banger contingent here thinks of it.

The shadow of 'Master of Puppets' looms large in the canon of Metallica. 'Death Magnetic' might be the closest Metallica has come to capturing those heights since it's follow up '...And Justice For All'.

A return to form after 15 years in the wasteland? Definitely.

Do I still miss Cliff Burton? Definitely.

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 RockChickX51 responded on Thursday, 18th September 2008

Honestly, I was starting to loose faith in Metallica for a while and haven't picked this CD up yet, I will this weekend though.
I've only heard a couple songs from it plus that one they play on the radio now....The Day That Never Comes....honestly I like that song, I think it's good.
Once I actually listen to the whole thing I can give you a better review of.

....And Justice for All was a GREAT Metallica album. If they can pull off some more "Blackened's" then they're moving in the right direction :-)

Last time I saw Metallica live was in 2004 (which consisted of me being smashed between the front barricade and the fat hairy guy with no shirt on behind me for 3 hours) they played
I Disappear and I was very very disappointed that they would think that horrible song was worthy of being played live. You have to have something for the trendies though that just listen to the singles I guess...

saharalv responded on Saturday, 20th September 2008

give me a break.
metallica died after 'justice'.

i heard 5 seconds of a new song while i was in the cubicle of a co-worker. i almost projectile vomited.
wait for the new mastodon album if you want the goods.

give me a break.

i heard 5 seconds of a new song while i was in the cubicle of a co-worker. i almost projectile vomited.

give me a break.

saharalv replied on Saturday, 20th September 2008

i blame my 13th vodka tonic for these re-posts

Chuckmonster replied on Saturday, 20th September 2008

which five seconds did you hear? ;)

i agree that metallica died after justice, specifically with cliff burton.the new joint isn't in that league, but it's the best thing since. Just to be fair, you should give the whole disc a coupla listens... there's some good stuff in there.

mastodon kills. their drummer is nuts. add meshuggah, opeth, lamb of god and gojira to that list too.

metalman6164 responded on Sunday, 21st September 2008

I think I've found a new favorite message board. Vegas and an Opeth mention to boot? Incredible. New Metallica record is good but not Cliff era good. Production sucks hard. Garage band loops sound better. A big name like Rick Rubin should know better.

Chuckmonster replied on Sunday, 21st September 2008

welcome metalman m/_

Apparently the version of Death Magnetic in Guitar Hero 2 has bigger better production than the cd or download version. Here's the link. (thx to MinVegas for tweeting this to me yesterday).

RockChickX51 responded on Monday, 22nd September 2008

I blame Mastadon for the concussion I got at Ozzfest in 2005. Ended up bleeding from the inside of my ear, rode out the rest of the show then drove to a hospital in West Palm Beach. I love Mastadon....they are probably one of the most energetic bands I've ever seen live........them and a Dozen Furies (even though I don't really like them and they never got that big they still put on a pretty energetic show).

OK I still didn't get the CD this weekend....got to busy with other crap. But I will...maybe...I agree that Metallica died after Justice which is why I said I was loosing faith in them, and then hearing them play I Disappear live...no no no.

You know who else is good?
In Flames......is fucking bad ass...

Chuckmonster replied on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008

Allow me to tack on to this that the new(ish) Judas Priest record "Nostradamus" is stellar.

metalman6164 replied on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008

Priest owns.

dpo1013 responded on Thursday, 25th September 2008

As a Metallica fan since 1985, My observations are that they change style everytime they get a new bass player (and not always in a good way)
I didnt even bother buying St Anger, since the local rock station had played almost every song before it came out, and I wasnt about to drop $15 plus on a under mixed/poorly produced insult to our intelligence.
They will never replace the depth, style and musical genius of Cliff... and hope they dont try.
From the 30 second samples Ive heard of DM, it really doesnt sound too bad- alot like the Justice & Black ambums. Ive got enough points for a free CD download at Rhapsody with my Coke points, so maybe I'll get DM since its free.

Chuckmonster replied on Tuesday, 30th September 2008

well put. cliff still rules.

have I mentioned that the new priest record is a bonafide, out of left field, concept record masterpiece a la Operation:Mindcrime?

thesleep responded on Wednesday, 1st October 2008

Chuckmonster dropped the new Priest record on me this past weekend and then my jaw dropped all the way to the floor. It's really good.
I have no idea where this album came from. They have never done anything with so much depth, musically or otherwise. dang. I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it. (thanks, chuck).

And I have to agree with Chuckmonster about the new Metallica. While we can all agree that they have been mostly dead since Justice, (I loved Metallica. When I was in High School in the 80's, there was nothing better in metal. I couldn't bear to listen to the crap they put out since then), I can certainly say that Death Magnetic sounds more like Metallica than any album since Justice.

By the way, I loved Justice when it came out, but looking back I feel it was the record that brought them into the "new" era. They probably could have made the two records into one really solid one. It doesn't hold up as well as what came before. So when I want to listen to Metallica I listen to Master and earlier.

metalman6164 responded on Wednesday, 8th October 2008

Have listened extensively to the Guitar Hero version of death magnetic and I have to say... production still sucks. There's no excuse for this.