The Board at VegasTripping

Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

More MGM PGP???

Last edit: chesteronriver on Tuesday, 1st December 2015 4:51 pm
Last response by Chuckmonster 4th December 4:08pm

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but it is the first time I noticed. I am in the process of booking a trip to Vegas for late January and thought I would peruse MGM properties before I get charged for parking. I was on the Vdara website and saw this notice after I selected a room:

In an effort to fulfill and anticipate your expectations prior to your arrival we invite you to select up to 2 Guaranteed Room Features for $20.00/night. Your room with selected features will be waiting for you upon your arrival.

The choices were 1-Away from elevator 2-Near elevator 3-High floor 4-Low floor 5-Pool view

I realize the airlines are using a similar "service", but does MGM think it is a good idea to develop a reputation similar to the airlines?........we all know how everyone talks about flying these days. Does MGM understand what it means to someone checking in when they hear, "Mr. Smith, we have a high floor strip view (or something to that effect) available for you as a complimentary upgrade if you would like!" It makes me feel like they are glad to see me and (most importantly) it makes me feel like I am glad to be here......and you know what happens when I am glad to be someplace......I SPEND MORE MONEY. In this case it would have been a MGM resort in Vegas, but now I think I will look around.

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 MinVegas responded on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

Those complimentary room upgrades would have gone to the guy ahead of you in the line were you not profiled to be a big spender to start with.

The rule of thumb in Vegas that you should always remember is, not all customers are equal. At the risk of sounding like a corporate apologist, I really don't think "earned freebies" will go away any time soon. What something like you're describing does is state upfront to interested parties who aren't profiled as more worthy customers.

Tourist helpers like VT and the FiveHundy inbox have over the years been hit with hundreds of letters regarding how to pay for these upgrades anyway, in the form of these $20+ tidings that may or may not succeed at getting you the room of your dreams. Rather than an Only-In-Vegas incantation that provides the thousands of anecdotes and questions, just give customers a menu showing them what's available and let them decide what they can afford.

People complain about flying because it's been reduced from a luxury experience to privatized mass transit (helped in part by the public themselves, who have decided with their wallets that the Price Über Alles approach of Southwest Airlines etc was the way to go.) But what people do like is being able to pick their own seat, to choose the aisle if that's really what they prefer. And if the hotels could allow you to pick whatever floor you want in the building, see what rooms are available for your stay, and exactly what you have to pay for perks like corner views or facing the Strip instead of the highway, a lot of people would be happy to pay $30 to be certain they're getting that view instead of anxious over whether $20 will get them that room by the time they check in.

detroit1051 replied on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

"At the risk of sounding like a corporate apologist..."
Yes, you do. I should pay an extra $30 PER NIGHT at Aria to request a connecting room or a high/low floor, near/away elevator? This is going too far.

Vegasdaze replied on Friday, 4th December 2015

If you go to a concert, don't you pay more for a better seat? Wouldn't this be the same thing? Premium seat location = premium room location

Chuckmonster replied on Friday, 4th December 2015

Previously it was "want a better view? upgrade!"
Now it is "have a preference, any preference? pay us !"

detroit1051 responded on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

Just went back on Aria site and this option is gone. Are they just testing it now?

coybotjr responded on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

I don't know about anyone else, but the $20 trick was to get your room upgraded to a suite or something, not to be sure I was or wasn't near an elevator. Paying $20 for guaranteed room features (Something I am fairly sure was covered by VT when Bellagio started having them?) is just a way to charge you for something that used to be given as a courtesy. Of all the bull shit fees in Vegas right now, this one ranks fairly low on outrage my list. I would never use it and I can avoid it.

parchedearth responded on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

MGM has been using similar paid 'upgrade" features at various properties for several years. This is the first I have seen it at Vdara. Typically, the choices also include early check-in and late check-out. I have personally used the $30 early check-in fee to make sure I can get into a room when arriving early in the morning. I would have expected fountain view as an option, but they already charge extra for that. I suspect each property is still trying to figure out what works. Not sure why they think anyone should pay for either a high/low floor or near/away f/ elevator. If you are paying extra, there should be an extra value to that feature, but this implies all rooms have extra value. This is just shameful profiteering because they can get away with it. It's about time a consumer protection agency starts getting involved with these extra (resort) fee charges.

TwisterII responded on Tuesday, 1st December 2015

Bellagio has had this on their website for years. VT even did an article on it:

Paying For Preferences

BillDonovan responded on Wednesday, 2nd December 2015

It's a travel and service industry scam, same as on the cruise ships. You excitedly pick your vacation destination, and a nice place to stay, book your travel, and go. But wait! that's not good enough! Now we must segment the "better" seats in your airplane, the "better" rooms at your hotel, the "best" seats in the restaurant, as if these things are more important than the big picture of your vacation in the first place. And we are suckered into this.