Chuck, what do you think of "What's New In Baltimore?'

Last edit: saharalv on Thursday, 2nd October 2014 12:07 am
Last response by crapshappy 9th October 7:01am

nfm

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 Chuckmonster responded on Thursday, 2nd October 2014

I haven't listened to it in ages. Let me get back to you on that one, gotta go dig out the LP.

crapshappy responded on Thursday, 2nd October 2014

Another Zappa nod to his boyhood hometown, a place that always had a place in his heart. Awesome, full bodied instrumental piece.

Chuckmonster responded on Thursday, 2nd October 2014

Crapshappy is absolutely right. It is quite a gorgeous composition - sweeping odd metered arpeggiated oddball yet harmonious chord sequences dressed in typically atypical Zappian orchestration of marimba and Coral sitar. It is amazing how much the pre-solo section sounds like it could be a cut off of Steve Vai's 'Flex-Able', which was released a year or so earlier. The soaring solo affirms my initial thoughts that 'What's New in Baltimore?' is a higher speed version of 'Watermelon In Easter Hay' (Joe's Garage) which in itself is a reimagining of the stellar 'Black Napkins' (Zoot Allures). FZ's guitar solo is a beautifully melodic piece of real time composition that chock full of 'bull as ballerina' phrasing interspersed with the roaring buzz of a fully overdriven guitar amp. The dichotomy is sublime.

Zappa's music isn't for everyone, but this is as great an introduction as any in his massive ouevre. Hard to believe that he would be dead 8 years later at the frighteningly tender age of 53, 21 years ago. Every day is a gift and so is Frank Zappa.

saharalv replied on Wednesday, 8th October 2014

Damn right!
That solo just gets to your soul. I find it amazing that someone who writes "Why Does It Hurt When I pee?", can also write such an amazingly beautiful piece of art.

crapshappy responded on Thursday, 9th October 2014

Hey, I got it from the toi-let seat...really