The Board at VegasTripping

Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

Suggestion To Help Cut Down On Spammers.

Last edit: vespajet on Sunday, 27th May 2012 8:21 am
Last response by Okie21 28th May 9:34am

Dealing with spammers and spam users is something all sites on the Internet have to deal with and we all know that most spammers don't exactly come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer. Most spammers here draw attention to their spam postings by posting their garbage in pieces from within the archives and if it wasn't for the fact that such posts show up when one looks at the "recent comments" sidebar on a page or the "comments" or "responses" column on the front page, these spam posts would be likely to never even be known about but the bulk of the users.

Now here's my suggestion (assuming such a idea is possible without having to do too much coding to the site) would be to have the ability to close the ability to post comments to any news article or board topic after a certain amount of time. Most discussions about articles and board topics tend to fade out after a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking maybe after 21 days of no need comments, such discussions are closed. However that doesn't completely eliminate the opportunities on the site for these spammers to post stuff, as the commenting on the features pieces would remain open. Pretty much anyone bumping up a thread from a few years ago is typically only doing to in order to post their spam.

Short of requiring all posts to be approved before being added to the discussions (which would create additional work), there's very little that can be done to curb spammers and the less opportunities for them to spam the site, the better.

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 RateVegas responded on Sunday, 27th May 2012

That's one of the things I do on TWHT to help deal with spam. Older posts don't accept new comments.

damania responded on Sunday, 27th May 2012

Like Youtube, people can rate the comments. If enough people mark a comment as spam the comment becomes hidden and the user gets banned. Of oourse, you need to the software :).

Chuckmonster responded on Sunday, 27th May 2012

we're planning on putting a speed bump into account registration... validating email addresses.

this should take care of this.

they come in waves. we're in a wave. sorry vespajet.

vespajet replied on Sunday, 27th May 2012

We have to deal with them on the site I'm a Moderator on and they do seem to come in waves. I guess these spammers think that because it is the weekend (especially a holiday one), they can post their stuff and presumably there won't be anyone to take care of it for a few days.