The Board at VegasTripping

Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

I gotta problem with people.....

Last edit: Spyder on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 11:01 am
Last response by Spyder 26th November 10:58am

No really, I do. I've been reading a lot about these body scanners and pat downs at airports. And I just don't see the issue. Okay you go through the scanner and someone can see yer junk, but really, if it keeps the plane in the air isn't that a good thing?

And when I flew down to Vegas in January (after the Christmas mess last year), I got to the airport 3 hours early for a 7 am flight, got felt up by a airport cop and got on the plane. Know what, I felt better they were checking to see if I put a bomb near my stuff, or even better built one out of C4, lopped the real deal off and then *KABOOM* we all go down in a blaze of glory!!

Isn't the real threat to airlines the people that work for them? I can't remember where I heard it but some "expert" (an unknown drip under pressure according to my dad, you figger it out) has recently said that any "real" threat is from the guy that fills the plane with fuel, or the baggage guy or blah blah blah.

Does anyone else feel the same that the flying public has to know that since Sept 11 getting on a plane will never be the same, and dammit take off your shoes at the xray, be polite, don't complain if you get yer junk grabbed!! That usually costs $50!!

Rant over....

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 MattK responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

Well, if it was somehow a certainty that having my junk scanned onto a screen in Predator-vision would 100% thwart any attack, then I guess I wouldn't mind it. But the problem is more that the TSA is always a day late and a dollar short with these new security measures. The shoe removal. The water ban. Now the body scan. The bad guys are always one step ahead of these things. The next bomb is going to be carefully hidden in a iPod or some such, and then those will get banned. The frustration is that we travelers are inconvenienced further and further each time, to thwart an attack that has already happened and won't be attempted again the same way, with even more sacrificing of your dignity in the screening process, and all conducted by humorless minimum wage jerkoffs.

RockChickX51 responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

Like Jeremy Piven said in the GOODS
"What ever happened to the way things used to be? When people took flights they were allowed to do a little smokin, little drinkin, you knew when you went on a flight you were in for a good time!"

I love traveling. I really do. I've been in more airports and on more planes than you take out of the air. But I have noticed, that after this last trip I took to Europe, and the one to Chicago after that, that airline travel is totally starting to become a damn headache.

I know that they are there to make us safe, and that these body scanners are there to make us safe, but I do know that a lot of them abuse their power and they make up rules as they go and that is the shit that doesn't sit right with me.
Wanna scan me? Fine.
Wanna take my deoderant? Fine.
But when they do shit like pull you to the side, you fully cooperate, then they search your bag, ask you how to open it, you point to the zipper on the bottom and they yell out as loud as they can "MAAM! DO NOT TOUCH THE BAG WHILE I AM EXAMING IT OR YOU WILL NOT FLY!" In front of the whole fucking security line, that's when I have the problem. I did nothing wrong. They asked a question, I answered it, they flipped the fuck out.

BUT I can tell you , most people are looking at it as getting their privacy rights taken away and it's true. The shit is getting a little ridiculous. I dread going to the airport every time I travel.

TSA is a bunch of little bitches barely making over minimum wage, pissed off because they're not on vacation like everyone else. You have to swallow your pride everytime you go through security to let these little piss ants scream their scream.

MinVegas responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

The US government often gets away with all kinds of juice and corruption that isn't common in Canada. Which is odd, since US politics are under so much more media scrutiny. Basically, the body scanner technology was made mandatory by Bush's DHS chief (Chertoff), who then left to go work at the company that makes said body scanners. The entire thing was done with no public input at all.

After the 2001 event, airport security went from privatized to a government-run bureau (TSA). While companies generally don't put their customers first (usually shareholders or someone else), the government is supposed to put us first. After all, we put them there.

The government is here to serve us, not vice-versa. I haven't had any airport issues, but we appear to have reached the point of diminishing returns whereupon the American people are less interested in protecting themselves from threats of danger and starting to grow cynical with the surveillance and security measures.

This is sort of the perfect storm for Homeland Security: the far left has always never been comfortable with the amount of Big Brother activity, and the far right has become extremely cynical and distrusting toward government since it tried to reform health care.

It doesn't help that this government was supposed to be a sea change from the last one, which was pretty fiercely active in stripping people's liberty away for security. And rather than take a pragmatic approach, like "we want to try this and evaluate it's effectiveness", Napolitano is digging her heels in.

Spyder replied on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

Actually we are following the states really closely, we are prolly about a year out to the body scanners (if they aren't already in place at Toronto and Vancouver). Canadian Airport security follows the TSA like a lost puppy, we don't wanna piss off big brother to the south.... hee hee!!

sideswipe70 replied on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

The scanners are in Toronto. Instead of what's happening in McCarren (at least in terminal 2), they are only being used when a passenger is randomly selected. (The device is joking called Dance Dance Revolution because you have to stand on a mat and then an arrow tells you where to go.)

sandyastrogl1de responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

I'd probably feel better about it if the first think they handed you in First Class wasn't a serrated metal knife and a real metal fork and you weren't statistically more likely to get struck by lightning 10 times than be a terrorism victim in the US. All the intrusive scans in the world won't stop a committed terrorist, otherwise they would just bomb the subways or the Lincoln Tunnel instead.

vespajet responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

As a former airline employee (pre-9/11) who had access to the cargo area on airplanes and handled passenger bags, one of the weakest links in the chain is employee screening. Most airline employees that are based at a particular airport typically don't get screened as they come into work because of the way the employees access the airport varies from airport to airport. They are subject to random security screenings though. Prior to being hired, you have to undergo a 10 year criminal background check in order to obtain a badge that gives you access to the sterile areas of the airport. You think about it, if airline employees (as well as TSA agents) can rifle through your bag and steal stuff (This is why if you're going to check a bag, use real luggage locks, not the ones that came with the bag. When I was a ramper, the cargo bins were full of these cheap-ass locks that either popped off or was easily jimmied open using a paper clip.), they can easily put a bomb in it.

My previous job was for a vendor that supplied books and magazines to the various newsstands and bookstores at the airport, and had to go through the same 10 year background check that airline employees have to go through. We all had box trucks that never had their loads checked by security. There was a few times I borrowed one of the supervisors' truck to take some stuff out to an account and the security personnel at the multiple checkpoints we had to go through briefly glanced in the truck bed and sent us on our way. The only things the security guards cared about was that everyone in the vehicle had a badge that allowed them access to the airport property and that the access pass for the vehicle matched the tag number of the vehicle.

We never were randomly searched by the TSA while working out there and this was post-9/11. We could have easily smuggled in explosives in one of the totes we brought magazines in and threw it into a cargo container full of mail that was going to go onto an airplane.

Myself, I have no issues with the full body scan screening devices and would have no problem using them. I'd rather do that than be given the bad touch by a TSA agent. I'm not a huge fan of the TSA, at least not the ones at my home airport. The handful of problems I've ever had in the screening area were at my home airport. Meanwhile, the TSA agents for the D Gates checkpoint at LAS are some of the friendliest, polite, and professional TSA agents I have ever encountered. Going through security at LAS is a breeze; going through it at ATL can be a nightmare.

Chris77 responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

If you notice, the loudest and most dramatic TSA complaints are not coming from the people who travel by air 3 times a week, they are coming from the people who travel once or twice a year and the only thing they knew about airline security before they got to the airport is what they've seen on prime-time investigative reports.

The body-scans and/or pat-downs are by far the LEAST inconvenient part of airline security. I would gladly go through both every time I fly if it meant I could keep my shoes on, my laptop in its case, and pack a tube of toothpaste in my carry-on. Stepping through the body-scan machine is a totally forgettable non-event, and I've never had a pat-down take more than about 7 seconds.

Maybe I'm just more comfortable about my body and my genitals than some people, but an anonymous stranger patting his hand on my butt or seeing my c**k on a screen for 2 seconds is a lot more palatable to me than the thought of a plane blowing up on takeoff from McCarran.

That guy who recorded himself squealing about "my JUUUNNKKK!!!" and then refusing to board his flight was not a champion for civil liberties, he's just a guy who needs to talk to his shrink about penis anxiety.

saharalv responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

People that say "I'm fine about someone seeing my junk", or "At least this makes me feel safe" are missing the point of the criticism entirely.

It will start with the airports, hit the stadiums, concert venues, high schools, etc.--it will never end. The more people keep their mouths shut about this flagrant raping of privacy, the more it will spread. On the other hand, if the TSA scaled back on these scans and a terrorist attack involving commercial airlines occurred, well, I think we all know what would happen.
This is scary scary stuff, I don't want the government (or corporations) to get any closer into my private life than they already are. Some might even want to consider who is profiting from these scanners, as well. And as far as "safeness", a terrorist who doesn't mind being in a plane that will be blown to bits, probably would have no second thoughts about shoving weapons up his anus.
Letting this happen for the sake of convenience and feeling "safe" is equal to shrugging your shoulders and saying "I didn't really like my freedom anyway".
I am simply not choosing to fly anymore, and it isn't because I am not comfortable about my abnormally large manhood.

To think that none of this shit would be happening if some morons decided to take a memo called "terrorists plan on using airplanes as weapons" seriously.

nullzero00 replied on Friday, 26th November 2010

"I don't want the government (or corporations) to get any closer into my private life than they already are."

i just don't see the gov't "getting closer" to my private life because they see my balls for 2 seconds. It's not like that pic is now placed in a dossier with my name on it and filed in some massive database in the pentagon.

detroit1051 responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

I have no problem with airport security measures, but I do have a problem with TSA agents. They are not well trained and many seem no more prepared than WalMart greeters. I have a titanium hip and always set off the metal detector or full body scanners. The pat-down is not a problem, but when I set off the alarm, my carry-on with wallet, keys, laptop, etc is on the conveyor. In more cases than not, when I asked to get my belongings off the conveyor so they wouldn't be stolen, I've been told to sit down and wait. TSA needs to have more than minimum wage employees who don't have a clue on how to relate to people.

vespajet replied on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

The main issue I have with the TSA screeners is that there is no uniformity in their actions. One airport they might have the attitude of being complete and utter bastards who are bitter that they couldn't get a real law enforcement gig (Failed Cop Syndrome that commonly affects mall rent-a-cops and other dicks with a badge.) and at another airport they're helpful, friendly, and professional. This is actually part of the TSA's evil plan. You see if they were dicks at every airport or nice and friendly at all airports, we'd all get complacent and complacency leads to another attack....(Insert Cape Fear [DeNiro version] laughing scene here.).

twofours responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

Airline flights for me have been limited for me the last 15 years since a bout with air pockets/turbulence flying into Denver that left me ghost white for a week.
If I were to fly today and there were 120 people on the flight I would feel so much more at ease if the other 119 passengers were stripped seached before getting on the plane with me.Paranoia strikes deep.I did see that thing out on the wing!
I don't know maybe they should profile more.It works at the Vegas nightclubs.You never see a guy with cargo shorts and a tank top get into Tryst.
"but really, if it keeps the plane in the air isn't that a good thing? "

levans responded on Tuesday, 23rd November 2010

Upon leaving Vegas lats week I saw the new scanners and was kind of annoyed that I wasnt going thru one. If you want to get on a plane then you know you have to go thru airport security. So deal with it. There was a guy in front of me who went thru three times because he kept failing due to general stupidity. He had this in his pocket, his hat had metal in it; people were rolling their eyes because he was holding us up. And he was absolutely clueless about why it was taking him so long. I get to the security area and my shoes are off, belt is off, my stuff is in the bins. You have more problems getting into a resturant on a Friday night on the strip than going thru security if you dont know you have to be ready. Deal with it.

BillDonovan responded on Wednesday, 24th November 2010

I'm just waiting for the Saturday Night Live skit, that shows several people in line, and a TSA guy in sansabelt pants, white shirt, carrying a clipboard standing at the front saying: "OK people, here are your choices. You can go through the metal detector, or you can go through the sniffer machine, or you can go through the scanner that produces a nudie pic, or can you can have a patdown, or you can have an enhanced patdown in the booth there, that includes multiple feel-ups for an extended period." And the crowd in line starts jumping up and down and raising their arms, saying "We want the multiple extended feelups!! It's free right??"

Actually, that could be a new revenue stream for the airlines. They should provide their own security personnel, hiring girls like Hooters does, and they would conduct all patdowns for the men. And for the ladies, hire dudes like the Thunder from Down Under show. Gving everyone a choice. You can go with the TSA people, or you can go with the airline's staffing over here. Who's gonna complain then?

Chris77 replied on Wednesday, 24th November 2010

This was pretty close...

JamesAt15 responded on Wednesday, 24th November 2010

I don't know yet what to think of the recent more aggressive TSA searches, scans, and patdowns. I don't think I'll be travelling to the States for a while (for better or worse), so I am hoping some kind of workable system gets figured out by the next time I do.

That and the US gets a decent high-speed rail system. (Although the worst thing would be if they put in the same security hoops to jump through as they do on airplanes, despite the obvious difficulties involved with ramming a high-speed train into an office building.)

If you ever get the chance, come take a trip on the bullet trains in Japan.

nullzero00 responded on Friday, 26th November 2010

I have a bigger problem with all the dumbfucks in line (scanner or not) that don't get their shit ready.

* get your keys out. take off your ring(s)/jewelery. get any spare change you have and anything else small and metal, and put all this into your carryon bag, or have it ready to dump into a small plastic bin.

* get your laptop and cellphone out and be ready.

* start taking off (or at least untying) your shoes.

* take off your belt

Security lines would move so much quicker if this were done before everyone got to the head of the line.

It's amazing how people are so clueless about this.

Spyder replied on Friday, 26th November 2010

my fav, and being a Calgarian I'm sure the people in the southern states have the same issue, is the dumb fucks with the giant belt buckles! I have one, but it always comes off. There are too many idiots that don't understand that all that metal will set off the detector.

Assclowns, all of them