Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

Anyone have any recommendations for absinthe

Last edit: jinx73 on Tuesday, 18th May 2010 7:19 am
Last response by johntree 8th September 2:53pm

I have some information collected from other board posting and a LV Advisor QOD from some time ago. Just wondering if anyone has any absinthe suggestions for a trip or experience that they liked.

It's one of those on the to do list for my brother and I and we forgot last trip. I decided to scope out some sites on this next solo trip and then let us give it a try in November.

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 RockChickX51 responded on Tuesday, 18th May 2010

Eyecandy @ Mandalay Bay has a drink called CorpseReviver #2 that has absinthe in it.
You won't find much "real" absinthe anywhere.
I've drank the MANSINTHE (Marilyn Manson's brand) and the Lucid. The Lucid makes you feel really relaxed after about 4 shots of it. It's a different kind of drunk.
Like Mushrooms and LSD, different trips.

I just got back from Amsterdam and drank about 3 different kinds of absinthe there and got pretty wasted on it, then again that was the real real stuff.

If you want to ORDER some if you go to absinth24.net (It may have an E at the end, not sure) there's some on there called ABSINTH VISION, the label has a woman screaming on it, that was good good stuff. I've ordered it a couple times off of that site.

Chuckmonster replied on Tuesday, 18th May 2010

i concur with everything rock chick sez. most of the stuff you'll get in the US legally - lucid, absinte have pretty low concentrations of wormwood, or a variation of wormwood in it. the european stuff is the real stuff.

the green fairie is fun ritual to partake in, but if its the universe you're looking for take serious psychedelics.

eco74 responded on Tuesday, 18th May 2010

I can't recommend any particular absinthe, but Sage at Aria has an absinthe cart they roll around the dining room. Seems like a good place to start.

parchedearth responded on Tuesday, 18th May 2010

This answer will suprise you. The best absinthe experience in town is at Sage in Aria.

Sage has an absinthe cart they wheel around the lounge (like a desert cart). They carry about 5-6 high-end brands at around $25/drink (yes, its pricey stuff, but you don't really want to be messing with the cheap/fake stuff). I've seen it prepared tableside in two ways: 1) dripped over a sugar cube from an iced decanter, and 2) flaming in the glass and then you suck the fumes out from under glass with a straw (like inhaling hash under glass for those who know). Either way is pretty interesting and makes for good conversation.

Downtown cocktail lounge also has a good selection.

jinx73 responded on Wednesday, 19th May 2010

Awesome, thanks all for the feedback. I might have to make Sage a trip for me an brother for November.

jinx73 responded on Wednesday, 19th May 2010

Awesome, thanks all for the feedback. I might have to make Sage a trip for me an brother for November.

saharalv responded on Wednesday, 19th May 2010

I'm sorry, but I am going to rant here...

Absinthe is NOT a drink to "trip ballz" on. It is NOT a drink that one lights a burning spoon into.
Absinthe is an aperitif. It has a very high alcohol content, yes, but this is why it is usually enjoyed 3(to5)-1 with ice water.
Contrary to popular belief, there is some VERY good "real" absinthe being made here in the States.
If one is really curious about great absinthe, try drinkupny.com. Some favorites are anything made by Jade, Marteau, or Pacifique. If one wants to get wasted, do shots of Jager.
I do not understand the continued misconception and ignorance of the beverage.

I have been drinking Absinthe for over 10 years and am overjoyed by the recent legalization. It's people that think that "Absinth", burning spoons, and "tripping ballz" are part of the experience that threaten this legalization. I call these people the "Andy Rooney's of Absinthe knowledge".

pklein responded on Monday, 13th February 2012

Try St. George if you can find it. Ive had about 5 different kinds of absinthe, and St. George is by far my favorite.

I drink a shot, mixed with about 2 ounces of ice cold water, in a sugar coated rim glass.

johntree responded on Monday, 8th September 2014

After my one and only experience with absinthe, my advise is don't!