Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Expedia.com!

Airfare, Hotels, Rental Cars, Vacation Packages

Southwest Vacations logo!

Advertisement

What's your favorite sex wine?

Last edit: WinoTripper on Wednesday, 25th August 2010 9:36 pm
Last response by Kagehitokiri 13th September 5:54pm

Everybody likes to wine and dine a date, right? Well, what wine do you go to to impress a date? What wine do you "use" to take the date to the next level? Girls? Guys? Lets hear you.

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 Attica responded on Wednesday, 25th August 2010

I'm married. I have no game. If you want to talk wine however, I follow a certain set of rules:

If you are in a restaurant and are confronted with a wine list the size of the King James bible, don't try and be a stud. Call over the sommelier. That's what they are for. Next, pick something in your price range. I try and stay under 150 dollars. Anything over that and someone is goosing you. If your sommelier can't recommend something you for under 150 you are being conned or you have already demonstrated you are either drunk (and an easy mark) or you are identified as being a rich person with too much money.

If there isn't a sommelier handy, take a look at the food. Take a look at the wine. Pick something that matches. Don't know? Ask your waiter, the sommelier stand in.

Beyond that, it's hard to go wrong with a blended wine. I know I know, a table wine at 75 dollars? But you know what? They blended that wine for a reason. They could take the best elements of several varietals and concoct them into a witches brew of tastiness. Don't get hung up on labels, or regions or varietals. Odds are a blended wine is going to be interesting and different and one of a kind, just like your date.

I am always partial to one wine from a little known vineyard. Le Cigare Volant, Bonny Doon Vineyards.

Oh sorry, this post isn't about me. Dates? Romantic dates? Just pick a damn Champagne, or perhaps a nice opening salvo of prosecco. With fresh raspberries plunged into the bottom of the flute.

Okay, I'm stopping now. Move along.

MinVegas responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

I guess I'll be the first to say it?

Whatever gets their pants off.

Chuckmonster responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

its sexy wine time!

blackjacker1979 responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

A nice Bordeaux or Pinot Noir gets me e'rytime.

Dramman responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

"Wine bringin' sexy back...yeah!"

Date? I agree, you can never, never, never go wrong with Champagne. In fact, even if you're dinning alone, you can never, never, never go wrong with Champagne (albeit a cheaper bottle). Steak? Chicken? Seafood? You can never, never, never go wrong with Champagne.

"But Dram, I don't know anything about Champange." Does not matter, if its French, in a fancy place, and on the wine list, more chances than not its going to be good. In fact, the "event" nature of Champagne allows you to get that cheaper non-vintage bottle and get away with it. Also think about your question, if you do not know much about wine, your date likely does not either. Any Champagne you get will be fine, as it will make the same statement to her as it does to you.

"But Dram, I don't want to do something so fussy like that, plus I don't have the Cary Grant elan you exude." Sigh, are you sure you want a date? In all seriousness, go with something white, because its more girly and likely to sit well with your partner. If you want a safe choice for the evening, not only white but holds up to most foods, get a Chardonnary from the Caneros region of Napa (It should state such on the wine list). If you want to flex your muscles, and perhaps take some risks with food pairings, try a Chenin Blanc, better than the normal blah Sauvignon Blanc being served these days.

Now if you really want to seem quirky, knowledgeable, and romantic about your wine, there is an easy way. Bring your own bottle! Most restaurants will open your wine, even chill it in some cases if needed, for a slight fee (called corkage). Go to a wine store, get a recommendation for something decent (I am assuming you want to impress, not exactly hit a home-run in wine). Bring the wine to the restaurant explaining its a "special bottle" you have been saving for the right time (not for her, but like you got it as a gift, but was warned its a really good wine that should be had with really good food. This seemed to be good time with such good company...You get the idea). Again this way, like the champagne, you get away with getting something relatively cheap, that seems special, and you will be forgiven if the wine does not match the rest of the meal.

saharalv responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Sheesh. With all of these verbose responses, you would think that there would more of an active message board over at winotripping.com. You would hope, at least.

For my answer I would say anything sparkling. Doesn't have to be expensive Champagne. Prosecco works, sparkling from California, New Mexico. Just something bubbly. Gets to the head more quickly, they say.
Add the cd "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim", and you are in.

Of course it would be best to avoid the cheap crap (Andre, Tott's, etc.) or else it will be a short evening that ends with plenty of vomiting and headaches.

sandyastrogl1de responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

I'm sticking with a 6 pack of Bartles & Jaymes in the backseat of my Mustang GT.

Dramman replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Watch out for Chris Hanson.

donnymac66 responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Does Chloroform count as wine?

Rockymountainroller responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Take them to Napa Valley and taste wines at the wineries. Truly a great experience. Never go to San Francisco without visitng Napa or Sonoma. Try the tastings with the reserve wines to get the best. Just sitting on the deck of the Gloria Ferrer winery overlooking the vineyards while sipping their champagne will get you special favors. If you like wine this is special.

vespajet responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.......

Misnomer replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Fond memories, Vespajet, fond memories. Anybody remember Cisco?

vespajet replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Cisco AKA Liquid Crack.... I remember buying a bottle of that one time because we couldn't afford a bottle of Boone's Farm. Nasty doesn't come close to describing it.

Dramman replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

What's the Word?

Misnomer replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Thunderbird!

jucifers replied on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Ah, Boone's Strawberry Hill... brings back memories of being in high school, drinking cheap wine with 8th grade girls, on elementary school playgrounds after dark. And then there's the kiddies on the playground on the day after: "Mommy, look! A balloon! I can blow it up... see!"

Dramman replied on Friday, 27th August 2010

How it served?

Misnomer replied on Friday, 27th August 2010

Good and cold!

What's the jive?

Dramman replied on Sunday, 29th August 2010

Bird's Alive!

What's the price?

twofours responded on Thursday, 26th August 2010

Used to be Spanada and Bali Hai in high school which did the trick. Guess I would have to cut it with some soda these days.
On one of our first dates I "used" Chateuneuf Du Pape with my wife. She thought it was a sexy French wine that was fun to say.What she didn't know it is a 13%, damn near fortified wine.I never told.

RockChickX51 responded on Friday, 27th August 2010

Wild Irish Rose. Oh yeah. Gas station special.

I also have a "I drank two bottles of it on the cruise and barfed the rest of the night" wine - which is - Woodbridge White Zinfadel

Kagehitokiri responded on Monday, 13th September 2010

my current "maxes" >

~$200 penfold grange
~$500 macallan 25 year old

sorry, but if you cant taste the difference, its you, not the item.

i drink single malt and red wine (cab, shiraz, malbec).

cant stand white/champagne (because fruity not dry). only enjoyed champagne once - at a movie premiere. recently had 1996 dom, which is apparently the best recent year, and one of the best at least in past 50 years. not dry enough for me. did find louis dornier vaguely drinkable because pretty dry.